Pharmacology and Toxicology

Graduate: Visa Applicants

For international/visa students, admission means relocating (albeit temporarily) to a foreign country. Therefore, international applicants to graduate school should apply when their period of study is complete; (i.e., after graduation and the degree has been conferred). With the exception of international applicants completing degrees at institutions in the United States of America or Canada, we will only consider the files of applicants who can show proof of graduation at the time of application.

Exceptional visa applicants to the Ph.D. program and thesis-based M.Sc. degree will be considered for nomination for the Connaught Scholarship.

See "What Happens After My Application is Received?"


These requirements apply to all visa applicants, permanent residents; or Canadian citizens whose degrees were obtained outside Canada; i.e., from non-Canadian universities.

Applicants are admitted under the General Regulations of the School of Graduate Studies. In addition, all applicants must satisfy the graduate unit’s additional admission requirements stated below.

In preparation, applicants are normally required to have taken courses in physiology, biochemistry, or allied sciences sufficient to form a foundation for their work in pharmacology. Admission will be based on the complete application package as well as an admission interview whenever possible.

M.Sc. Program:

Applicants to the Pharmacology M.Sc. program must have completed an appropriate bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, from a recognized university; with a final year average of at least a B+ (77%-79%) based on a full year of senior level courses.  

Ph.D. Program: 

Applicants to the Ph.D. program must hold an appropriate master's degree, or its equivalent, from a recognized university, with an average of at least B+ (77%-79%) in their Master’s degree courses.  See "Determine Your Eligibility" below.

B.Sc. Entry into the Ph.D. Program:

Pharmacology will consider offering admission to highly qualified students holding an appropriate bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, from a recognized university, with a final year average of at least an A- (80%-84%) based on a full year of senior level courses; and demonstrated research potential.


To assist you in determining your eligibility, qualifications from a number of educational systems around the world are listed in the School of Graduate Studies Calendar Admission Requirements "INTERNATIONAL DEGREE EQUIVALENCIES" web page. Normally these are recognized as equivalent to a University of Toronto four-year bachelor's degree if they have been awarded from an institution which is recognized by the School of Graduate Studies. 

The grades shown are equivalent to what is considered a mid-B range at the University of Toronto. Please keep in mind that the admission average for Pharmacology graduate programs is a B+ equivalent (or A- for PhD direct entry). Therefore, the Pharmacology program admission cutoff is higher than that of the mid-B required by the School of Graduate Studies.

An official transcript of your academic record from each university attended is required for admission.  The University of Toronto requires an official transcript from each post-secondary institution that you have attended and you are responsible to arrange for them to be sent by your academic institution directly to the Department. See "Apply Now" for more information on transcripts.


If your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction is not English, then you must demonstrate your facility in English by completing one of the tests listed on the School of Graduate Studies website given below. This requirement should be met at the time you submit your application.  

For test scores, see: English Language Proficiency Testing.  Test Scores must be less than two years old to be considered valid.

Exemptions: You are not required to complete an English-language facility test if you are a Canadian citizen who studied at a Canadian university where the language of instruction is French.

If you completed a program of study outside of Canada at a university where the language of instruction and examination has largely been in English, the language requirement may be waived. You must submit an official statement from your academic institution confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.

The final decision regarding the need for a English-language facility test is at the discretion of the Department. 


There is NO GRE requirement for applicants to the Pharmacology graduate programs who graduated from a non-Canadian university.


All international students require an entry visa and student authorization to study in Canada. This is normally obtained from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in the applicant's home country.