Health & Immigration Information for Students


Whether you need medical care, emotional support or health-education counselling, the University's Health Service can help with a comprehensive range of services provided by a staff of professionals.

We strongly urge you to ensure that you have health insurance to cover the cost of medical services or hospital care - either through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), the medicare plan of your home province in Canada, or through the University of Toronto Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). International students must apply for UHIP coverage.

Applications for OHIP may be obtained from the University Health Service. There is no charge for OHIP provided that you qualify for coverage.

For up-to-date information, consult the UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICE, Koffler Student Services Centre, 214 College St., Toronto, Canada M5T 2Z9. Tel (416) 978-8030; e-mail: For further information, see University Health Service.


The International Student Centre publishes a Student-Visa Handbook which is mailed to all visa-students with their Offer of Admission. For a copy, contact The International Student Center, 33 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2E3; Tel (416)978-2564; E-mail: For further information see Centre for International Experience.