MD, FRCSC, MSc
Dr. Al-Omran is a Vascular Surgeon and a Scientist at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael’s Hospital. He is a Professor at the University of Toronto in the Department of Surgery and an associate member of the Institute of Medical Science. His research interests include: atherosclerosis bench to bedside with special interest in peripheral arterial disease; clinical epidemiology and health services research with a focus on using large healthcare administrative databases to conduct population-based analyses of individuals with aortic, carotid, and peripheral arterial disease; knowledge translation; and systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
Dr. Al-Omran has published widely in high-impact peer-reviewed journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine, Circulation and the Journal of Vascular Surgery. Dr. Al-Omran has been the recipient of several teaching and research awards, and he has supervised research trainees of all levels including: undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate fellows. He currently serves as the Head of the Division of Vascular Surgery at St. Michael’s Hospital (2013-present) and his clinical practice is focused on management of rare vascular diseases such as thoracic outlet syndrome and carotid body tumors.
- Mantella, LE, Singh, KK, Sandhu, P, Kantores, C, Ramadan, A, Khyzha, N et al.. Fingerprint of long non-coding RNA regulated by cyclic mechanical stretch in human aortic smooth muscle cells: implications for hypertension. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2017; :. doi: 10.1007/s11010-017-3065-2. PubMed PMID:28526936 .
- Hussain, MA, Mamdani, M, Tu, JV, Saposnik, G, Aljabri, B, Bhatt, DL et al.. Long-term Outcomes of Carotid Endarterectomy Versus Stenting in a Multicenter Population-based Canadian Study. Ann. Surg. 2017; :. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002301. PubMed PMID:28498234 .
- Yau, JW, Singh, KK, Hou, Y, Lei, X, Ramadan, A, Quan, A et al.. Endothelial-specific deletion of autophagy-related 7 (ATG7) attenuates arterial thrombosis in mice. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2017; :. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2017.02.058. PubMed PMID:28400112 .
- Singh, KK, Matkar, PN, Pan, Y, Quan, A, Gupta, V, Teoh, H et al.. Endothelial long non-coding RNAs regulated by oxidized LDL. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2017;431 (1-2):139-149. doi: 10.1007/s11010-017-2984-2. PubMed PMID:28316063 .
- Ramadan, A, Al-Omran, M, Verma, S. The putative role of autophagy in the pathogenesis of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Atherosclerosis. 2017;257 :288-296. doi: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2017.01.017. PubMed PMID:28139205.
- El Morr, C, AlHamzah, M, Ng, P, Purewal, A, Al-Omran, M. Knowledge of peripheral arterial disease: Results of an intervention to measure and improve PAD knowledge in Toronto. Vascular. 2017; :1708538116689355. doi: 10.1177/1708538116689355. PubMed PMID:28121280 .
- Khoushhal, Z, Hussain, MA, Greco, E, Mamdani, M, Verma, S, Rotstein, O et al.. Prevalence and Causes of Attrition Among Surgical Residents: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Surg. 2017;152 (3):265-272. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2016.4086. PubMed PMID:27973673 .
- Hussain, MA, Mamdani, M, Tu, JV, Saposnik, G, Khoushhal, Z, Aljabri, B et al.. Impact of Clinical Trial Results on the Temporal Trends of Carotid Endarterectomy and Stenting From 2002 to 2014. Stroke. 2016;47 (12):2923-2930. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.014856. PubMed PMID:27834754 PubMed Central PMC5120767.
- Tam, DY, Al-Omran, M. Thoracic outlet syndrome. CMAJ. 2016;188 (16):1179. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.151087. PubMed PMID:27354672 PubMed Central PMC5088081.
- Hussain, MA, Al-Omran, M, Mamdani, M. Efficacy of a Guideline-Recommended Risk-Reduction Program to Improve Cardiovascular and Limb Outcomes in Patients With Peripheral Arterial Disease. J. Vasc. Surg. 2016;64 (2):535. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.06.055. PubMed PMID:27763276 .
Affiliations & Other Activities
- Head, Division of Vascular Surgery, St. Michael’s Hospital
- Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto
- Associate Member, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto
- Professor, Department of Surgery, King Saud University